Franklin's Gull, probable Red-throated Pipit, Bewick's Wren

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2012
      Hello all,

      Today, 9/25, I spent the morning at Ten Mile Beach trying to get some video
      clips of Snowy Plovers. I did see 41 of them, but they weren't doing much
      until the fog came in. Then they started feeding!

      Other birds of interest included a first year Franklin's Gull that flew
      south with a small flock of California Gulls, a small flock of about 6
      American Pipits (my first of the year) and a single, probable, Red-throated
      Pipit. This last bird was by itself just south of where Fen Creek crosses
      the old haul road. I heard it well, but my views were fleeting. It gave the
      single sharp "Peeent" call that I associate with the Red-throated and in one
      view of it flying by it appeared to have a pinkish red head. I'll say I was
      85% sure of the identification.

      And day before yesterday 9/23 I had a single Bewick's Wren in our yard on
      the Little River Headlands. That was the first for your yard. I don't see
      many of them on the coast here.

      Ron LeValley