Chestnut-sided Wblr & Others Near Caspar

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2012
      23 Sept, 2012 -- I found an imm CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER mid-afternoon just
      south of Caspar Creek/Beach, in the willows of Doyle Creek (tent campground is
      associated with Caspar Beach RV Park.  Doyle Ck bisects the two areas of the
      campground).  It was with a tiny "flock" of 1 Yellow & 1 Townsend's Warblers, plus
      3 Chestnut-backed Chickadees.
      I tried
      for a  (maybe) still occurring Hooded Merganser, but a person with an unleashed
      dog was near Caspar Ck where it enters the riparian area.  Near the mouth, there was
      1 GREATER YELLOWLEGS, with a small number of LESA and KILL.

      At Caspar Pond (Hwy 1 & Fern Ck Rd), there was a PECTORAL SANDPIPER and
      2 WILSON'S SNIPE on the east side of the pond.

      At Caspar Cemetery, I heard several RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES and PYGMY
      NUTHATCHES.  A med-small owl was being mobbed by mostly Steller's Jays near
      a well-used trail above the Doyle Ck drainage.

      Karen Havlena
      Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca