Only 3 to 4 Spaces Available for 7 October Pelagic

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 2012
      We only have 3 or 4 spaces left for the MCAS pelagic trip on Sunday, 7 October.

      Our three leaders are now in place:  Ron LeValley, Tony Kurz and Jon Dunn!
      This should be a great team, and we are lucky to have each one of them!

      If you wish to join us, please send me an email and I will respond to you.

      Cost:  $105 (check)  or  $110 (credit/debit)

      Time:  7-am (meeting).  Return to port 3:30-4:00-pm.

      Vessel:  Telstar, Captain Randy Thornton

      Sorry, no handicapped folks or children under age 11.  Thanks.

      Karen Havlena

    • Kate Marianchild
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2012
        Hi All.

        I'm still working on my scrub-jay chapter, and want to check something out. At my open-platform bird feeder, acorn woodpeckers are dominant over all scrub-jays, both adults and juveniles. All a woodpecker has to do is swoop by and the scrub-jays skedaddle.

        Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if it is always true or only true when there is a strong acorn woodpecker community in the neighborhood. The woodpeckers are dominant over everybody, including the much larger Eurasian collared dove that has been hanging around lately. A single ACWO will sometimes chase the dove for a hundred feet or so.

        Thanks.

        Kate

        Kate Marianchild
        Nature Writer
        katem@... 707-463-0839

        Currently writing Secrets of the Oak
        Woodlands, a book about the interrelationships,
        survival strategies, and social structures
        of the animals and plants of California's
        oak woodlands. Secrets of the Oak Woodlands
        will be published by Heyday in 2014.

      • Robert Keiffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2012
          Kate, Probably true overall ...but it may be just a local inter-species relationship because of the support of a strong "ACWP clan" to back up
          the individual. But, I don't know for certain. I can tell you for a fact that ACWO is not dominant of Sharp-shinned Hawks! ...watched a SSHA
          Kill and eat a ACWO.

          katem@...<mailto:katem%40mcn.org> 707-463-0839