Mendocino Coastal trip and a report from Clear Lake

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2012
      From: Jerry White
      To: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:34 AM
      Subject: Coastal trip

      September 10th, llth and 12th 2012

      Spent Monday Tuesday and Wednesday birding the Mendocino Coast. Nothing real exciting. On Monday there was a Gray Fox on Mt View Rd but no Grouse. Saw a flock of Mt Quail also. At Pt Arena headlands south of the lighthouse had a flyover Long-billed Curlew. On Tuesday at Usal (Chuck arrived a little bit later) there was a Nashville Warbler and a Clay-colored Sparrow.The Bonaparte's Gulls flock we saw fly by were a first on the list I keep for Usal(now at 160 species). Chuck and I later saw a Pacific-Golden Plover at Virgin Creek Beach.
      On Wednesday there were 2 Marbled Godwits on the beach at Chadbourne Gulch (interesting because of location) and 2 Clay-colored Sparrows at the Westport Headlands(a personal first for that location). Pleasant enough trip with in general very good weather.

      John Sterling just called from a boat on Clear Lake where he found a juvenile LONG-TAILED JAEGER. Jerry White