Barn Swallows at 10-mile

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2003
      Charlene McAllister and I looked around MacKerricher S. P. north of Fort
      Bragg today seeing about 30 Herring Gulls and one Thayer's Gull at
      Laguna Point with the Westerns, G-winged and Californias. At Ward Ave we
      saw 5 male and 2 female Black Scoters, one female Harlequin Duck, a
      Red-necked Grebe and a single Ancient Murrelet feeding very close to
      shore.

      The big surprise was 5 Barn Swallows flying steadily north past Ward
      Avenue and on up the Haul Road.

      Lots of Gray Whales are migrating now.

      Ron

      Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
      ron@...
      707/839-0900
      Fax 707/839-0867
      Cell 707/496-3326
      www.madriverbio.com
      Mad River Biologists
      1497 Central Avenue
      McKinleyville, CA 95519

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2003
        Tue, 29 Oct 2003 -- This afternoon there was a PRAIRIE FALCON between Pine
        Avenue and Burris Lane in Potter Valley. It was sitting in a prominent dead
        valley oak about halfway between and using it to launch attacks on the
        hundred or so meadowlarks being stirred up by a NORTHERN HARRIER.
        In recent weeks there have been good numbers of WOOD DUCKS on the
        pond at the end of Burris - in the 20-60 range.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • gchaniot
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 19, 2012
          Sun, 19 Feb 2012 -- Today and yesterday I saw a PRAIRIE FALCON on Pine Avenue in Potter Valley. Both times it was chasing Brewer's Blackbirds. This is a smaller bird and not the very large female seen several weeks ago.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA