Lake County birds

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 28 4:22 PM
      This morning there was a SANDERLING at the Kelsey Creek outlet in Clear Lake State Park. A Cackling Goose was also there (present for some time).

      Early afternoon at Borax Lake there was a MARBLED GODWIT. This was quite likely the same bird reported on Thursday the 23rd. In addition there was a BLACK-NECKED STILT. Jerry White

    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2014
        Made a trip this morning to the Middletown area to look for the Burrowing Owl found on Sunday by Darlene Hecomovich and Susanne Scholz (also seen on Monday by Dave Woodward). I found the BURROWING OWL at the same location as seen the previous 2 days. Off of Butts Canyon Road turn onto Callayomi Road. Go 2/10ths of a mile to where there is a drainage ditch on the east side of the road. Looking along that ditch you will see a white irrigation pipe crossing it. The owl was sitting next to that pipe on the south bank.
        I also found a PRAIRIE FALCON nearby about 3/10ths of a mile down Loconomi Road sitting on a power pole.
        Further down Butts Canyon Road at Detert Reservior amongst the large number of ducks, geese etc. there was a Snow Goose, and a few Cackling Geese. Two adult Bald Eagles also flew over.
        Other birds reported in the area but not seen by me today were a Ferruginous Hawk, a Merlin, and Lewis's Woodpecker.     Jerry White
      • stevestump
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 20, 2014

          1-20-14 1110

          Uvéa and I were able to find the Burrowing Owl Darlene Hecomovich and Susanne Scholz found and Jerry White reported on Jan 7th (thanks for the report). The bird was located in the field across the street from the farmhouse (4/10ths mile) down Callayomi Rd. It was on the third dirt mound away from the road.

          We were unable to find the Snow Goose at Detert Reservoir but found 14 Greater White-fronted geese and 2 Redhead and also many Cackling Geese. Wow, there are a lot of ducks and geese in this reservoir.

          We did not find a Prairie Falcon but did find a Ferruginous Hawk at the Middletown County Trailside Park(in field across st. from entrance). Steve Stump

          photo of Burrowing Owl

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/12060124193/in/photostream/

        • Jerry White
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2014
            Some birds of local interest this morning were;  a Ferruginous Hawk on Finley East Rd., a White-throated Sparrow at Lakeside County Park and a Common Loon on Clear Lake seen from Lakeside County Park. Also at the park were Bullock's Oriole and Western Kingbird.     Jerry White
          • stevestump
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2014

              7/1/14 0945

              This morning on Adobe Creek Rd. at the Adobe Creek Reservoir, there were three recently fledged Common Gallinule. Two of the young were with an adult in the NE corner of the pond and one (much smaller than the other two) were with a different adult in the SW corner. I'm positive there were two different nests.

              Also later in the afternoon at the Kelsey Creek outlet on Clear Lake State Park, there were 4 Wilson's Phalarope along with a Greater Yellowlegs and over 30 peeps. Steve Stump

            • Floyd Hayes
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2016
                I spent my seventh consecutive summer monitoring breeding Western and Clark's Grebes at Clear Lake, usually once or twice a week by a canoe, but I missed a few weeks due to travel elsewhere. It was a great breeding season for grebes with more than 4,000 nests and the highest number of chicks produced in seven summers, but it was a relatively boring summer for rare birds. Shorebirds were exceptionally scarce, even the flyovers that I often see each summer. I think it was my first summer in which I never called Jerry White to inform him of a rarity!

                Friday, September 9, was by far my best day. A drab male BLUE-WINGED TEAL and a juvenile COMMON TERN were at Adobe Creek (accessible only by boat), a juvenile GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE was just north of the bridge at Rodman Slough (seen from a canoe, but potentially viewable from the bridge and boat launch area), and a distant AMERICAN AVOCET was at Borax Lake (seen from road). Borax Lake has fabulous shorebird habitat but the avocet was the only shorebird other than a Killdeer that I've seen there all summer. Hundreds of California Gulls have been lurking there the past month, but I haven't been able to pick out a rare gull species among them.

                Looking back through my notes, here is a summary of other noteworthy sightings during the summer:

                June 15: one COMMON MOORHEN at Anderson Marsh.

                June 30: seven BONAPARTE'S GULLS (five at Lucerne, two at Clearlake Park; high count for summer?) and one adult RING-BILLED GULL at Manning Creek.

                July 3: one LEAST BITTERN and one female BUFFLEHEAD at Long Tule Point, and one WILLET at Rumsey Slough.

                August 2: one AMERICAN BITTERN at Rodman Slough (up a distant northwestern channel).

                I apologize for not sharing these observations earlier, but nearly all of the birds were in places accessibly only by boat.

                Floyd Hayes
                Angwin, CA