Re: scrub-jay question

  • Janet Rosen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18, 2012
      Kate, about 6 years ago, when I was still living in San Francisco, I did directly hear and then see a scrub jay imitate a red-shouldered hawk. This was at North Lake, in the Chain of Lakes, an area I had birded regularly since 1983. I heard a red-shouldered hawk's typical screaming, but it seemed to be coming from an atypically low perch in shrubbery on the southwest side between the path and the lake. On inspection, I was amazed to discover the screamer was a scrub jay. I had no idea they did that, and after he flew off I returned home to read up on it online!