scrub-jay question

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 17, 2012
      Hello Birders All,

      I know Steller's jays imitate red-tailed hawks, and I have heard that western scrub-jays also do (can't remember if I've actually observed it). Can anyone tell me for certain one way or the other from personal observation (or can you direct me to documentation?)

      I'm writing now about western scrub-jays and would also be interested in any quirky, amusing, or otherwise interesting behaviors anyone has observed. It has been amazing to read research on their intelligence...capacity for imagination, mental time travel, and tracking the passage of time.

      Thanks!

      Kate

      Kate Marianchild
      Nature Writer
      Currently writing Secrets of the Oak
      Woodlands, a book about the interrelationships,
      survival strategies, and social structures
      of the animals and plants of California's
      oak woodlands. Secrets of the Oak Woodlands
      will be published by Heyday in 2013.

    • Janet Rosen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 18, 2012
        Kate, about 6 years ago, when I was still living in San Francisco, I did directly hear and then see a scrub jay imitate a red-shouldered hawk. This was at North Lake, in the Chain of Lakes, an area I had birded regularly since 1983. I heard a red-shouldered hawk's typical screaming, but it seemed to be coming from an atypically low perch in shrubbery on the southwest side between the path and the lake. On inspection, I was amazed to discover the screamer was a scrub jay. I had no idea they did that, and after he flew off I returned home to read up on it online!