Re: [Mendobirds] UWTP Lesser Yellowlegs

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2012
      Wed, 15 Aug 2012 -- This morning there was continuing LESSER YELLOWLEGS at
      the Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant on the levee east of the sprinklers. It
      appeared to be a juvenile. There was also a single GREATER YELLOWLEGS for
      comparison molting out of breeding plumage, and three LONG-BILLED
      DOWITCHERS.
      For a full list see
      <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S11348256>

      At the Mendocino College sedimentation pond there was a single immature
      COMMON GALLINULE on the upper pond, still quite denuded, and on the lower
      pond there was an adult gallinule, colors much faded from the height of the
      breeding season.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      > From: "Chuck and Barbara Vaughn" <cevaughn@...>
      > Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 13:44:17 -0700 (PDT)
      > To: "Mendobirds" <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [Mendobirds] 8/14 UWTP Lesser Yellowlegs
      >
      > Greetings Mendobirders- Steve Stump called me to report 2 Lesser
      > Yellowlegs at the Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant late this morning. The
      > birds with a single Greater Yellowlegs, and they were all on the levee to
      > the east of the evaporation sprinklers.
      >
      > Steve Stump
      >

      > --
      > Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      > Ukiah, CA

      > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership
      > and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these
      > addresses:
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Kate Marianchild
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17, 2012
        Hello Birders All,

        I know Steller's jays imitate red-tailed hawks, and I have heard that western scrub-jays also do (can't remember if I've actually observed it). Can anyone tell me for certain one way or the other from personal observation (or can you direct me to documentation?)

        I'm writing now about western scrub-jays and would also be interested in any quirky, amusing, or otherwise interesting behaviors anyone has observed. It has been amazing to read research on their intelligence...capacity for imagination, mental time travel, and tracking the passage of time.

        Thanks!

        Kate

        Kate Marianchild
        Nature Writer
        Currently writing Secrets of the Oak
        Woodlands, a book about the interrelationships,
        survival strategies, and social structures
        of the animals and plants of California's
        oak woodlands. Secrets of the Oak Woodlands
        will be published by Heyday in 2013.

      • Janet Rosen
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 18, 2012
          Kate, about 6 years ago, when I was still living in San Francisco, I did directly hear and then see a scrub jay imitate a red-shouldered hawk. This was at North Lake, in the Chain of Lakes, an area I had birded regularly since 1983. I heard a red-shouldered hawk's typical screaming, but it seemed to be coming from an atypically low perch in shrubbery on the southwest side between the path and the lake. On inspection, I was amazed to discover the screamer was a scrub jay. I had no idea they did that, and after he flew off I returned home to read up on it online!