Good Day at Glass Beach, Fort Bragg

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2012
      Tue, 14 Aug, 2012 -- The fog stayed offshore, inviting an ad. MERLIN, two
      WANDERING TATTLERS, and four ELEGANT TERNS to visit.  It was cool
      and windy, but I got a good look at the Merlin as it swooped toward a group
      of shorebirds in one of the small coves north of the tourists' glass beaches.
      The Wandering Tattlers were in separate areas; one was with a WILLET to
      give a good comparison of those migrants.  The terns flew around a large
      rock over and over, then finally landed together on a smaller rock.

      There were dozens of Black Turnstones and Surfbirds, along with Pigeon
      Guillemots, a few Whimbrels and Black Oystercatchers.  Nice morning.

      Karen Havlena
      Fort Bragg, MEN, California