8/14 UWTP Lesser Yellowlegs

  • Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2012
      Greetings Mendobirders- Steve Stump called me to report 2 Lesser
      Yellowlegs at the Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant late this morning. The
      birds with a single Greater Yellowlegs, and they were all on the levee to
      the east of the evaporation sprinklers.

      Steve Stump

      --
      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2012
        Wed, 15 Aug 2012 -- This morning there was continuing LESSER YELLOWLEGS at
        the Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant on the levee east of the sprinklers. It
        appeared to be a juvenile. There was also a single GREATER YELLOWLEGS for
        comparison molting out of breeding plumage, and three LONG-BILLED
        DOWITCHERS.
        For a full list see
        <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S11348256>

        At the Mendocino College sedimentation pond there was a single immature
        COMMON GALLINULE on the upper pond, still quite denuded, and on the lower
        pond there was an adult gallinule, colors much faded from the height of the
        breeding season.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA

        > From: "Chuck and Barbara Vaughn" <cevaughn@...>
        > Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 13:44:17 -0700 (PDT)
        > To: "Mendobirds" <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [Mendobirds] 8/14 UWTP Lesser Yellowlegs
        >
        > Greetings Mendobirders- Steve Stump called me to report 2 Lesser
        > Yellowlegs at the Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant late this morning. The
        > birds with a single Greater Yellowlegs, and they were all on the levee to
        > the east of the evaporation sprinklers.
        >
        > Steve Stump
        >

        > --
        > Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
        > Ukiah, CA

        > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership
        > and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these
        > addresses:
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Kate Marianchild
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 17, 2012
          Hello Birders All,

          I know Steller's jays imitate red-tailed hawks, and I have heard that western scrub-jays also do (can't remember if I've actually observed it). Can anyone tell me for certain one way or the other from personal observation (or can you direct me to documentation?)

          I'm writing now about western scrub-jays and would also be interested in any quirky, amusing, or otherwise interesting behaviors anyone has observed. It has been amazing to read research on their intelligence...capacity for imagination, mental time travel, and tracking the passage of time.

          Thanks!

          Kate

          Kate Marianchild
          Nature Writer
          Currently writing Secrets of the Oak
          Woodlands, a book about the interrelationships,
          survival strategies, and social structures
          of the animals and plants of California's
          oak woodlands. Secrets of the Oak Woodlands
          will be published by Heyday in 2013.

        • Janet Rosen
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 18, 2012
            Kate, about 6 years ago, when I was still living in San Francisco, I did directly hear and then see a scrub jay imitate a red-shouldered hawk. This was at North Lake, in the Chain of Lakes, an area I had birded regularly since 1983. I heard a red-shouldered hawk's typical screaming, but it seemed to be coming from an atypically low perch in shrubbery on the southwest side between the path and the lake. On inspection, I was amazed to discover the screamer was a scrub jay. I had no idea they did that, and after he flew off I returned home to read up on it online!