FW: Sooty Grouse (yesterday)

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9 8:27 AM
      From: Robert Keiffer
      Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2012 8:23 AM
      To: Mendobirds
      Subject: Sooty Grouse (yesterday)

      Wednesday - 8 August 2012 - This morning at 07:15 AM I observed four Sooty Grouse on Mtn. View Road about one-half way between Boonville and Manchester. There was an adult female and three immatures (about ¾ grown). They were observed on the edge of a large pullout, and along the narrow road edge feeding on grass seeds, and then two of them crossed the road to a spring-seep on the east side of the road, then one crossed back over the road to the west side They were about 100 yards WSW of milemarker 15.06 (pretend at about mm 15.00). Numerous birders have seen Sooty Grouse along this road over the past 20 years .... However, this was the first time that I have seen the species along this road despite many many trips over it in early morning hours. I suspect that they might be refound if one patiently parked and waited at this turnout in the early morning hours. These are wary birds ...and they will run away quickly when disturbed.

      Good birding. Bob keiffer for those that need it, my new work email is: rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...> sorry if you received duplicates of this message as I was having a difficult time updating my email changes on yahoo mendobirds

      [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
      Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
      4070 University Rd.
      Hopland, CA 95449