Poor-will in Potter Valley

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2003
      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 -- Since I was awake unusually early this morning, I
      decided to take an owling walk near my home in Potter Valley at 05:30. I
      heard Western Screech-Owl at 05:46 and Great Horned Owl from 06:10 to
      06:20. I was surprised, however, to hear a COMMON POOR-WILL calling from
      the ridge west of West Road from 06:20 to 06:25 only a half mile from my
      house. I have only encountered a poor-will once in this area since 1979, a
      bird foraging over the oaks at dusk on a summer evening. I was not aware
      that they even call at this time of year. I note that they have never been
      recorded on the Ukiah Christmas Count, and the county list indicates that
      they are x-tremely rare in winter and u-ncommon in all other seasons. Has
      anyone else ever heard them calling in the winter in Mendocino Co.?

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA