Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 160 , Jul 30, 2012
      I've been out on the lake 1-3 days a week this summer studying grebes but somehow missed the birds at the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff (nice finds!), which I'll check out tomorrow. We've been seeing a lot of shorebirds (mostly the common species) flying over the lake and a few summering waterbirds. For the record, here are our highlights:

      * WESTERN and CLARK'S GREBES: We counted 7,760 during a survey around the perimeter of the lake on July 24. More than 1,800 nests counted thus far (compared with 1,248 in 2011 and 1,322 in 2010) in 13 colonies, with a colony of about 1,100 just SE of the bridge at Rodman Slough. Most require a boat to view them, but a small colony can be viewed up close from land in the lagoon just SW of the beach at Lakeside County Park.

      * MUTE SWANS: two N of Lakeport on July 24 (they've been around several years, thankfully they are not reproducing).

      * GREATER SCAUP: Male SE of bridge at Rodman Slough on July 25.

      * BUFFLEHEAD: female SE of bridge at Rodman Slough on many dates, June 10 (found earlier by Jerry White) to July 25; another female E of Lakeport on June 10 (found earlier by Jerry White) and at Long Tule Point on July 5.

      * CINNAMON TEAL: three at Anderson Marsh on July 3.

      * GADWALL: a pair at Anderson Marsh on June 10.

      * NORTHERN SHOVELER: male at Anderson Marsh on June 3.

      * WILSON'S PHALAROPE: six walking on grebe nests on July 19.

      * NORTHERN PHALAROPE: 27 at Borax Lake on July 22.

      * BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER: one flying over the lake E of Lakeport on July 25.

      * WILLET: seven flying over Long Tule Point on July 5.

      * RING-BILLED GULL: 2nd-summer immature N of Lakeport on July 24.

      * GRASSHOPPER SPARROW: singing (not seen) at Hidden Valley Lake on June 9.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA
    • stevestump
      Message 160 of 160 , Nov 15, 2014