Re: [Mendobirds] Black-capped chickadee report from Van Damme

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2003
      On Mon, 6 Jan 2003 20:17:18 -0800, "Ron LeValley" <ron@...>
      wrote:

      >We should not rule out the possibility that the chickadee could have
      >been a Mountain Chickadee. Much more likely than a Black-capped at this
      >time and place.

      Some years ago, a bird believed to be a Black-capped Chickadee was at the
      Carmel River mouth, Monterey County. It was with Chestnut-backed
      Chickadees. However, its call was identical to Chestnut-backed. The
      consensus was that it was a Chestnut-backed which was missing the brown
      pigments in its plumage. Only the gray pigments remained.

      I didn't personally see this bird, but that's what I remember people saying
      about it.

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan@...
      SF Spring Birding Classes - Feb 4 http://fog.ccsf.org/~jmorlan/