Lake County Shorebirds

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2012
      John Luther called me yesterday afternoon to let me know that he had seen the WILLET, the WHITE-FACED IBIS and the Wilson's Phalaropes found earlier by others.
      All of these birds were still present and seen by Nikki White and I today at about 11:30 AM. The birds were in a small pond(on private property) visible from (a couple of places) along the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff road. There were a number of other species using the remaining wetlands there; egrets, Canada Geese, Greater Yellowlegs etc.
      The WHITE-FACED IBIS was first found on Thursday by Diane and Steve Rose. This is the first summer record for Lake County. Yesterday morning Jim Lomax saw the Ibis and the WILLET. Jerry White

    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2012
        I checked out the pond again from the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff road at about 10:30 AM today. Far fewer birds but the WILLET and the WHITE-FACED IBIS were still there. Jerry White

      • Jerry White
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 21, 2014
          In addition to the birds reported earlier Steve also identified a  BAIRD'S SANDPIPER. There was also a SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER that I first found yesterday and was able to confirm today. The bird was seen well by Dave Woodward, Steve and I. Other interesting shorebirds were at least 2 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS and 4 Semipalmated Plovers.  Jerry White