Fledgling Lawrence's Goldfinch in Willits

  • nexttothelastmanonearth
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2012

      Dear Birders,

      I walked the fields north of the Willits skateboard park this morning and found the same number of species as the last time my daughter and I walked this area (47) back in June 12 this year. But no ducks this time. Of special interest are some Lawrence's Goldfinches feeding their young, 4 Yellow-breasted Chats, and a couple of White-tailed Kites.

      To get to this area, drive about 1/4 mile east or more from 101 Highway in Willits on Commercial. Just past the Roots of Motive Power (trains) area on the left is a skateboard park. Park in the skateboard park parking lot and walk around the east side of the park. Walk through the hemlock into the fields to the north of the park picking your way carefully and watch and listen for birds along the way. There is a dirt road that runs north of the Roots of Motive Area that can be productive as well.

      Check yourself carefully for ticks afterward!

      Good birding!
      Mike Curry
      Willits
    • gchaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 28, 2012
        Sat, 28 Jul 2012 -- This morning (07:45) I visited the old wastewater ponds behind the Willits skateboard park and found the continuing LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHES. There was a pair with two dependent juveniles. All three goldfinch species were on the back fence of the skateboard park.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA