RE: [Mendobirds] pelican rescue

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2012
      Hi Jeff (and others),

      There is a massive influx of young pelicans this year. It must have been a
      good year for reproduction in Baja California. The down side of that is the
      young pelicans don't always know what to do. It is pretty normal for there
      to be problems like this when so many young birds are around. I am not sure
      how much the ocean conditions are influencing this, but I don't believe that
      they are starving for lack of food, but just because there are so many young
      birds trying to figure out how to make a living.

      I have been told by Ronnie James that large numbers of pelicans are being
      reported to rescue centers and it is hard for them to respond to all of the
      calls and if they do take them in, it is very expensive to keep them alive.

      The best thing to do is to pretty much leave them on their own unless you
      see one that is being adversely affected by human activities (fishing hooks
      and lines for example). This is unfortunately a part of the natural process.

      Best, Ron