Fw: peli issue widespread

  • Rick & Jeanne Jackson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9 10:59 AM
      Hi Jeff and Beth, Hi All,
      A birder friend, Diane Hichwa, just sent me this. I have had calls of first year Brown Pelicans appearing in several places, one in Gualala. Most look in good shape but are tired. It appears there is a very big, successful group of first years. Please read below. Jeff and Beth, I have forwarded your email to several birders experienced in rescue but it may be that “survival of the fittest.” Not fun to witness, that’s for sure.
      Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay

      CBS news and San Jose Mercury News putting out stories on starving young pelis. I just googled starving pelican
      ………

      inShare

      Starving young pelicans turning up on San Francisco Bay Area beaches
      Bay City News Service

      Updated: 07/09/2012 06:13:34 AM PDT

      Wildlife rescuers say large numbers of starving young pelicans are turning up on local beaches right now.

      The pelicans appear thin and weak, and are walking up to people, said Rebecca Dmytryk, a spokeswoman for WildRescue, a Moss Landing-based nonprofit.

      Dmytryk said the starving young birds, which can be distinguished from adults by their brown heads, are distressing to see but probably part of a normal natural die-off, or "survival of the fittest."

      While it's distressing to see, not all the young birds can or should be saved, she noted.

      "Should we intervene? It's a tough call!" Dmytryk said in a written statement. "It's certainly upsetting to see a starving baby pelican on the beach, but are we doing the species a disservice if we take in all the weak ones?"

      Resources for bird rescues are limited, and the nearest center, in Cordelia, is already overrun with young pelicans who cost a great deal to feed, Dmytryk said.

      Members of the public who see an injured or ill-looking pelican should noted the color of the head, then call WildRescue's hotline at 1 (866) WILD-911. Keep people and dogs away from the birds, which are protected by federal law.

      WildRescue will rescue as many birds as resources allow, with adult birds being given the priority, Dmytryk said.

      While the brown pelican population was once threatened to near extinction, it has now rebounded, Dmytryk said.

      Those interested in volunteering

      to help rescue pelicans should go to wildrescue.org. Volunteers are needed in Santa Cruz, San Jose and San Francisco.

      Copyright © 2012 by Bay City News, Inc. ... republication, re-transmission or reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

      ReprintPrint Email Font ResizeReturn to Top

      • FAQ: Article commenting how-tos and tips

      Breaking News

      1.. AT&T drops legal fight over Massachusetts man's $1 million bill1.. 'Internet Doomsday' malware has little effect as service providers step in1.. Former Stanford basketball player Peter Sauer dies1.. Palo Alto Networks, Kayak price IPOs as 'Facebook freeze' begins to thaw1.. Was Yasser Arafat murdered? Palestinian leader OKs his exhumation for autopsy1.. Savannah Guthrie gets her official 'Today' show welcome1.. Egypt's highest court, in showdown with president, says parliament remains dissolved1.. Obama to push extension of middle-class tax cuts

      Latest from MercuryNews.com
      a.. Drain Hetch Hetchy Reservoir? San Francisco voters may get the chance in November to start the process

      b.. Palo Alto Networks, Kayak price IPOs as 'Facebook freeze' begins to thaw

      c.. AT&T drops legal fight over Massachusetts man's $1 million bill

      d.. 'Internet Doomsday' malware has little effect as service providers step in

      e.. Former Stanford basketball player Peter Sauer dies

      a.. Most Viewed a.. Most E-Mailed(From the last 12 hours)1.. From the Archives: Sharks rout Avalanche, take 3-2 series lead
      2.. Drain Hetch Hetchy Reservoir? San Francisco voters may get the...
      3.. NBA: Orlando Magic trades former Cal star Ryan Anderson to New...
      4.. Durable Borgnine's motto: 'You gotta go to work'
      5.. Simitian flips stance on high-speed rail
      6.. Five shot in front of theater near Oakland's Jack London Square

      'You need people' — young Marine rebuilds his life after blast in AfghanistanNORTH COVENTRY, Pa. — An IED blast in Afghanistan left Marine Cpl. Grant Cantrell III with a traumatic brain injury and a choice: Would he have his severely injured legs amputated, or …read more

      Top Classifieds
      Rentals Jobs Real Estate Autos

      Lou Frank

      GORGEOUS REMODELED 3BD/2.5BA HOME.

      GORGEOUS REMODELED 3BD/2.5BA HOME.

      Lou Frank

      Lou Frank

      Lou Frank

      3BD/2BA Gated Community

      WILLOW GLEN 3BD/3BA HOME FOR SALE $875,000

      All Listings

      Copyright © 2012 - San Jose Mercury News

      Place an Ad | About Our Ads | Help/Contact | Site Map | Advertise | Home Delivery | Copyright | Privacy Policy and Terms of Use | About MediaNews Group | RSS | Find San Jose jobs | Ethics Policy |About Bay Area News Group |

      MediaNews Group - Bay Area News Group

      Diane Hichwa

      Email: dhichwa@...

      Telephone: 707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)