Black-capped chickadee report from Van Damme

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2003
      We should not rule out the possibility that the chickadee could have
      been a Mountain Chickadee. Much more likely than a Black-capped at this
      time and place.

      Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist

      ron@...

      707/839-0900

      Fax 839-0867

      www.madriverbio.com <http://www.madriverbio.com/>

      Mad River Biologists

      1497 Central Avenue

      McKinleyville, CA 95519

    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2003
        On Mon, 6 Jan 2003 20:17:18 -0800, "Ron LeValley" <ron@...>
        wrote:

        >We should not rule out the possibility that the chickadee could have
        >been a Mountain Chickadee. Much more likely than a Black-capped at this
        >time and place.

        Some years ago, a bird believed to be a Black-capped Chickadee was at the
        Carmel River mouth, Monterey County. It was with Chestnut-backed
        Chickadees. However, its call was identical to Chestnut-backed. The
        consensus was that it was a Chestnut-backed which was missing the brown
        pigments in its plumage. Only the gray pigments remained.

        I didn't personally see this bird, but that's what I remember people saying
        about it.

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan@...
        SF Spring Birding Classes - Feb 4 http://fog.ccsf.org/~jmorlan/