Singing American Redstart - MC Botanical Gardens 6/20

  • K A Havlena
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20 1:14 PM
      Wed, 20 Jun 2012 -- An adult, male AMERICAN REDSTART was
      discovered singing at the south edge of Mendocino Coast
      Botanical Gardens this morning by Dorothy Tobkin and Tim
      Bray.  The bird was just west of the vegetable garden but
      before one reaches the open, grassy area.  A small stream
      enters the gardens from private property in an area with
      many trees and undergrowth.  It was singing a rather short
      song.  Other observers included Carolyn Kinet and Catherine
      Keegan.

      For Dorothy Tobkin and Tim Bray

      K. Havlena
      Fort Bragg, MEN, California

    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23 8:19 PM
        Saturday, June 23, 2012 - I returned to the location at the MCBG where
        we had the singing male American Redstart, but heard nothing. Has
        anyone else been able to re-find this bird? It spent most of its time in
        some alders just south of the MCBG property, just west of the composting
        area; but it flew from there into the Eucalyptus grove to the northeast,
        sang there for a while, then returned to the alders.

        The song was a little tricky - shorter and simpler than most of the
        recordings for eastern birds. It begins with 2 or 3 descending notes
        like the beginning of a Wilson's Warbler song, then abruptly ends with a
        rising whistle somewhat recalling a Cowbird. If you have the Sibley's
        app for iPhone/iPod, Song #2 for AMRE is pretty close.

        Cheers,
        Tim Bray
        Albion, CA