Rufous Hummingbird, Lawrence's Goldfinch, Vaux's Swift, etc. in Potter Valley

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2012
      Hello All. I've been spending some time at my parent's place in southern Potter Valley recently, and have had a few sightings of interest.

      Today the first southbound RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD visited our hummingbird feeder. Not sure how it figures into the grand scheme of things, but I generally don't expect to see them until early July. A LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH flew over the yard today, in the company of several House Finches. I've seen a VAUX'S SWIFT flying around a few times this week, which seemed odd; given the date, I wouldn't be surprised if it's nesting somewhere in the area.

      Of minor note, a BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK has been singing off-and-on in the area.

      Matt Brady
      Potter Valley, CA