More Grasshopper Sparrows - Coast & Branscomb Areas

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2012
      Fri, 15 Jun 2012 -- Prior to the sun rising over the hills
      to the east of Hwy 1, I heard singing GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS
      at different locations.  Just east of the mailboxes of Ocean
      Meadows at mm 70.32, there were two GRSP singing along with
      a few SAVANNAH SPARROWS.  Checking identical habitat, there
      were two more GRSP at mm 72.21 and one GRSP at mm 72.47.
      Again, there were a few Savannahs nearby.  The grasses are
      tall at all of these areas, with the land flat or with slight
      slopes.  I listened north to Bruhel Point, but only heard one
      Savannah.  The grasses were shorter with the slopes steeper.
      It definitely helped to distinguish between the similar songs
      with the use of the Cornell Birdseye app on my iPhone.

      Wed, 13 Jun 2012 -- Bob Keiffer and I did his Breeding Bird
      Survey from Laytonville to the coast on Branscomb Rd.  East
      of the town of Branscomb, there is suitable grassland with
      tall grasses growing.  We heard two GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS at
      one spot near a small house with a pond and one GRSP at a
      location closer to Branscomb.

      They are having a banner year including the several at HREC
      and the one Bob found between HREC and the Russian River.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, California

    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2012
        In Potter Valley there have been more Grasshopper Sparrows than usual.
        In May I observed at least five individuals at three locations on Pine
        Avenue and Burris Lane. Over the month there were more records than all
        previous years combined. I am no longer encountering them sitting up and
        singing, but probably they are still around with the nesting season
        progressing.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA