Mendocino College Pond

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2012
      Tue, 12 Jun 2012 - This morning I went to Mendocino College pond to check
      on the gallinules, and discovered, to my chagrin, that the cattails were in
      the process of being removed. A CATS4U was finishing denuding the pond,
      downslope. One adult and three juvenile COMMON GALLINULES were scurrying
      about watching their habitat disappear. Female Red-winged Blackbirds were
      returning with mouths full of insects to bare, muddy shoreline. A muskrat
      was trying to hide in the last remaining clump of cattails. I didn't stay
      to watch it be removed.
      So, whither moorhens? Adapt, move, or die?

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Steve Grams
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2012
        I just emailed the Interim President and Director of Facilities which can be found on the Mendocino College Website to show my displeasure about the destruction of the college pond.
        I hope others may do the same,
        Steve