Common Murres

  • birdmanofthewoods3
    Message 1 of 4 , May 24, 2012
      The COMMON MURRES are finally setting up and nesting on Bird Rock off Mendocino Headlands State Park west of Mendocino (the northern pull out just before the road turns east). I haven't been checking lately and there they were. About 150 birds. They are on the far western rocks this year. Photo link to Mendobirds photo post below.

    • birdmanofthewoods4
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2013
        Watched yesterday as a large flock of COMMON MURRES coming out of the south came into Agate Cove just north of Bird Rock off the Mendocino Headlands in Mendocino. While common murres are not particularly gracefull when they land, these birds were dropping out of the air 10 to 20 feet over the water and making extremely awkward landings with great splashes. The impression was that they were very tired and just wanted to get on the water. They then formed a very tight perfect circle of over a hundred birds. I can't remember seeing that tight a packed circle on the water. The impression was one of utter exhaustion and relief. None landed on Bird Rock.