Nests of MacGillivray's Warblers

  • K A Havlena
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2012
      Dave and others on the Eel River field trip wondered
      whether MacGillivray's Warblers are ground nesters.
      No, is the answer I found in a couple of old bird books.

      MacGillivray's nests are usually 1 to 4 feet off the
      ground and are fairly loose cups of grasses held in dense
      patches of shrubs like blackberries or poison oak.  The
      clutches are usually 4 speckled, white eggs.

      The first nest was discovered on 17 May, 1897, in Sonoma.
      Ref: North American Bird Eggs, C A Reed, 1965 (revised ed)
      from original 1904 first edition.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca