Re: [Mendobirds] Reported Black-capped Chickadee - 1/1/03

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
      Thanks for the clarification, John. Not having had a lot of experience
      in the observation of BCC's, I am glad that someone who has, can give us
      better ideas. . .I guess if there is one lone BCC hanging out down
      there, he's finding companionship with the CBC's to be to his liking. :)

      Feather
    • Matthew Matthiessen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
        I agree with you John. Most of us have thought it's just a matter of
        time before BCCH shows up in Mendo. I just didn't expect it to be that
        big of a jump the first time.

        By the way, I just received a call from Toby Tobkin and she reports that
        she was unable to relocate either the BCCH or the Swamp Sparrow this
        morning.

        Matthew Matthiessen

        >>> "John Sterling" <ani@...> 01/03/03 10:35AM >>>
        This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be
        found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county.
        Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.

        Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south
        along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in
        the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian
        areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the
        past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the
        Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!

        John

        John Sterling
        26 Palm Ave
        Woodland, CA 95695
        530 668-8694 (home office)
        530 668-1985 (home)
        916 737-3000 ext 3593 (Sacramento office)
        916 813-1766 (cell phone)