Cormorant Monitoring Meeting May 16th

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2012
      Hi all,

      It's getting to be that time of year again - actually on Pt. Cabrillo is
      already is that time of year! Susan Tubbesing has been watching a chick for
      over a week! That may be the earliest chick known in California history!!

      I have Numbered Nest Site Photographs at the gallery now for Pelagic
      Cormorants at Noyo Harbor (for Art Morley and anyone else that wants to
      help) and the GP Property (for Adam and Alison). You can come by and pick
      them up anytime this weekend.

      The Brandt's Cormorants on Mendocino Headlands are just starting. There are
      two small colonies on the far rock that will be hard to monitor. Another
      small colony on the close rock has been active and inactive sporadically for
      the past two weeks. We'll keep an eye on them and keep you posted on what is
      happening. I don't anticipate starting Brandt's monitoring for at least
      two-three more weeks.

      I would like to schedule an evening get-together for those of you who can
      help us this year. We will have at least 8 Pelagic Cormorant colonies and
      the large Brandt's colony at the Mendocino Headlands to watch this year.

      I propose that we meet at the Photography Gallery, 344 North Main Street, in
      Fort Bragg on May16th at 7:00 p.m. This will only take about an hour or two
      at the maximum but I would like all of us to get together and discuss the
      coming year. I will also give a short report on the past three years.

      Please let me know if you can make the meeting and what your availability
      might be this coming season. And feel free to pass this on to others that
      you think might be interested in coming to the meeting or helping this
      summer.

      Thanks!

      Ron

      Ron LeValley