Four Baby Gallinules (Moorhens) at the College

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2012
      Today, Chuck Vaughn and I visited Mendocino College to see the Common Gallinules. We saw only one adult. I returned about an hour later and found both adults with 4 fledglings! This was about 11 am. At first I found just 2 babies with one adult and then I looked around and found the other adult with 2 more babies. Each adult was foraging for food and then taking it to the babies. When I left, the babies were all together and the adults were foraging a little further away. The babies have bright red-orange beaks with a red-pink spot on the tops of their heads, so they are quite bright and colorful and easy to see.

      Dave Bengston
      Ukiah