Re: [Mendobirds] Reported Black-capped Chickadee - 1/1/03

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
      Feather wrote:
      "Why would Van Damme be an odd location? Van Damme is mostly riparian
      woodlands and does contain alder stands in places. . ."

      I was referring primarily to Van Damme's location so far south but also considered the lack of extensive riparian flooplain forest that the chickadees prefer. I didn't consider the location impossible because it does have *some* riparian, but not the type that I associate with BCCH.

      sorry for any confusion...

      John

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
        Thanks for the clarification, John. Not having had a lot of experience
        in the observation of BCC's, I am glad that someone who has, can give us
        better ideas. . .I guess if there is one lone BCC hanging out down
        there, he's finding companionship with the CBC's to be to his liking. :)

        Feather
      • Matthew Matthiessen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
          I agree with you John. Most of us have thought it's just a matter of
          time before BCCH shows up in Mendo. I just didn't expect it to be that
          big of a jump the first time.

          By the way, I just received a call from Toby Tobkin and she reports that
          she was unable to relocate either the BCCH or the Swamp Sparrow this
          morning.

          Matthew Matthiessen

          >>> "John Sterling" <ani@...> 01/03/03 10:35AM >>>
          This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be
          found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county.
          Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.

          Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south
          along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in
          the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian
          areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the
          past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the
          Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!

          John

          John Sterling
          26 Palm Ave
          Woodland, CA 95695
          530 668-8694 (home office)
          530 668-1985 (home)
          916 737-3000 ext 3593 (Sacramento office)
          916 813-1766 (cell phone)