Re: [Mendobirds] Reported Black-capped Chickadee - 1/1/03

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
      Why would Van Damme be an odd location? Van Damme is mostly riparian
      woodlands and does contain alder stands in places. . .

      John Sterling wrote:

      >This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county. Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.
      >
      >Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!
      >
      >John

      "Rapture....the only way to fly!"
      <:))))><
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Forestwalker Productions

      Bird Cards, Bird Drawings - Education in Art!

      http://home.onemain.com/~featherf
    • John Sterling
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
        Feather wrote:
        "Why would Van Damme be an odd location? Van Damme is mostly riparian
        woodlands and does contain alder stands in places. . ."

        I was referring primarily to Van Damme's location so far south but also considered the lack of extensive riparian flooplain forest that the chickadees prefer. I didn't consider the location impossible because it does have *some* riparian, but not the type that I associate with BCCH.

        sorry for any confusion...

        John

        John Sterling wrote:

        >This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county. Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.
        >
        >Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!
        >
        >John

        "Rapture....the only way to fly!"
        <:))))><
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Forestwalker Productions

        Bird Cards, Bird Drawings - Education in Art!

        http://home.onemain.com/~featherf

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Feather Forestwalker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
          Thanks for the clarification, John. Not having had a lot of experience
          in the observation of BCC's, I am glad that someone who has, can give us
          better ideas. . .I guess if there is one lone BCC hanging out down
          there, he's finding companionship with the CBC's to be to his liking. :)

          Feather
        • Matthew Matthiessen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
            I agree with you John. Most of us have thought it's just a matter of
            time before BCCH shows up in Mendo. I just didn't expect it to be that
            big of a jump the first time.

            By the way, I just received a call from Toby Tobkin and she reports that
            she was unable to relocate either the BCCH or the Swamp Sparrow this
            morning.

            Matthew Matthiessen

            >>> "John Sterling" <ani@...> 01/03/03 10:35AM >>>
            This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be
            found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county.
            Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.

            Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south
            along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in
            the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian
            areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the
            past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the
            Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!

            John

            John Sterling
            26 Palm Ave
            Woodland, CA 95695
            530 668-8694 (home office)
            530 668-1985 (home)
            916 737-3000 ext 3593 (Sacramento office)
            916 813-1766 (cell phone)