Red-necked Phalaropes and Forter's Terns at Ukiah Water Treatment Plant (UWTP)

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2012
      This morning, one of the workers (Steve Stumpf) reported about 15 terns at the UWTP and 1000+ RN Phalaropes, so I went down to see. By the time I got there, 4 of the Forster's Terns were still there and well over 1000 RN Phalaropes. I saw over 200 of them leave. By noon, the Terns were gone but the Phaloropes remained.

      Other birds of interest included: a Peregrine Falcon that came thru terrorizing the Phalaropes, 3 Spotted Sandpipers, a half dozen Vaux's Swifts, 65 Whimbrels and a Green Heron.

      The WTP is at the end of Plant Rd off of So State St.

      Dave Bengston
      Ukiah