Herons on the Noyo

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2012
      Wed May 2, 2012--This afternoon at 1:15PM I found myself at the Dolphin RV Park & Marina not far from Liquid Fusion Kayaking where the Noyo takes a 90 degree turn. Right at that turn I first noticed the ever present GREAT BLUE HERON. Then a SNOWY EGRET flew into the very far corner (I suspect a tidal entrapment area back in the corner). I moved a little and discovered a hidden "adult" BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON actively foraging (I chuckle at that description) not roosting in the same area.

      "The Birds of North America Online", states that Black-crowned Night Herons, "feeds mainly from evening to early morning but feeds during the day in times of high food demand such as during breeding season". It also states, "Generally sleep during the day except when demands of young keep them foraging in daylight hours." According to the same source it appears that they could be an early nester.

      Mendocino county does not have a record of Black-crowned Night-Herons nesting here but some of us suspect that they do. We only have to find out where!!

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River