Re: [Mendobirds] Reported Black-capped Chickadee - 1/1/03

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
      This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county. Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.

      Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!

      John

      **********************************
      John Sterling
      26 Palm Ave
      Woodland, CA 95695
      530 668-8694 (home office)
      530 668-1985 (home)
      916 737-3000 ext 3593 (Sacramento office)
      916 813-1766 (cell phone)

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
        Why would Van Damme be an odd location? Van Damme is mostly riparian
        woodlands and does contain alder stands in places. . .

        John Sterling wrote:

        >This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county. Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.
        >
        >Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!
        >
        >John

        "Rapture....the only way to fly!"
        <:))))><
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Forestwalker Productions

        Bird Cards, Bird Drawings - Education in Art!

        http://home.onemain.com/~featherf
      • John Sterling
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
          Feather wrote:
          "Why would Van Damme be an odd location? Van Damme is mostly riparian
          woodlands and does contain alder stands in places. . ."

          I was referring primarily to Van Damme's location so far south but also considered the lack of extensive riparian flooplain forest that the chickadees prefer. I didn't consider the location impossible because it does have *some* riparian, but not the type that I associate with BCCH.

          sorry for any confusion...

          John

          John Sterling wrote:

          >This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county. Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.
          >
          >Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!
          >
          >John

          "Rapture....the only way to fly!"
          <:))))><
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Forestwalker Productions

          Bird Cards, Bird Drawings - Education in Art!

          http://home.onemain.com/~featherf

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Feather Forestwalker
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
            Thanks for the clarification, John. Not having had a lot of experience
            in the observation of BCC's, I am glad that someone who has, can give us
            better ideas. . .I guess if there is one lone BCC hanging out down
            there, he's finding companionship with the CBC's to be to his liking. :)

            Feather
          • Matthew Matthiessen
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
              I agree with you John. Most of us have thought it's just a matter of
              time before BCCH shows up in Mendo. I just didn't expect it to be that
              big of a jump the first time.

              By the way, I just received a call from Toby Tobkin and she reports that
              she was unable to relocate either the BCCH or the Swamp Sparrow this
              morning.

              Matthew Matthiessen

              >>> "John Sterling" <ani@...> 01/03/03 10:35AM >>>
              This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be
              found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county.
              Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.

              Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south
              along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in
              the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian
              areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the
              past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the
              Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!

              John

              **********************************
              John Sterling
              26 Palm Ave
              Woodland, CA 95695
              530 668-8694 (home office)
              530 668-1985 (home)
              916 737-3000 ext 3593 (Sacramento office)
              916 813-1766 (cell phone)

              I just called the N CA birdbox (415-681-7422) and there is a report from

              Bill Myers and Thomas ??? (couldn't understand the last name) from
              Pasadena of a BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE on Jan 1 at Van Damme State Park.
              The only details provided are that it was seen foraging with a group of
              Chestnut-backed Chickadees. From other comments made I inferred that
              the chicadees were seen in the vicinity of a campsite where Gray Jays
              are coming to some cat food put out for them (this is only my
              inference).

              I'm putting this notice on Mendobirds as I think this would be a first
              county record. If anyone knows either of the gentlemen who made this
              report could you please have them contact Mendobirds or me
              ( matthima@... ) with additional details? Thanks.

              Also mentioned was a SWAMP SPARROW at MacKerricher State Park.

              Matthew Matthiessen
              Ukiah, CA

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to