Reported Black-capped Chickadee - 1/1/03

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
      I just called the N CA birdbox (415-681-7422) and there is a report from
      Bill Myers and Thomas ??? (couldn't understand the last name) from
      Pasadena of a BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE on Jan 1 at Van Damme State Park.
      The only details provided are that it was seen foraging with a group of
      Chestnut-backed Chickadees. From other comments made I inferred that
      the chicadees were seen in the vicinity of a campsite where Gray Jays
      are coming to some cat food put out for them (this is only my
      inference).

      I'm putting this notice on Mendobirds as I think this would be a first
      county record. If anyone knows either of the gentlemen who made this
      report could you please have them contact Mendobirds or me
      (matthima@...) with additional details? Thanks.

      Also mentioned was a SWAMP SPARROW at MacKerricher State Park.

      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, CA

    • John Sterling
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
        This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county. Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.

        Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!

        John

        **********************************
        John Sterling
        26 Palm Ave
        Woodland, CA 95695
        530 668-8694 (home office)
        530 668-1985 (home)
        916 737-3000 ext 3593 (Sacramento office)
        916 813-1766 (cell phone)

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Feather Forestwalker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
          Why would Van Damme be an odd location? Van Damme is mostly riparian
          woodlands and does contain alder stands in places. . .

          John Sterling wrote:

          >This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county. Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.
          >
          >Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!
          >
          >John

          "Rapture....the only way to fly!"
          <:))))><
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Forestwalker Productions

          Bird Cards, Bird Drawings - Education in Art!

          http://home.onemain.com/~featherf
        • John Sterling
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
            Feather wrote:
            "Why would Van Damme be an odd location? Van Damme is mostly riparian
            woodlands and does contain alder stands in places. . ."

            I was referring primarily to Van Damme's location so far south but also considered the lack of extensive riparian flooplain forest that the chickadees prefer. I didn't consider the location impossible because it does have *some* riparian, but not the type that I associate with BCCH.

            sorry for any confusion...

            John

            John Sterling wrote:

            >This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county. Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.
            >
            >Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!
            >
            >John

            "Rapture....the only way to fly!"
            <:))))><
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
              Thanks for the clarification, John. Not having had a lot of experience
              in the observation of BCC's, I am glad that someone who has, can give us
              better ideas. . .I guess if there is one lone BCC hanging out down
              there, he's finding companionship with the CBC's to be to his liking. :)

              Feather
            • Matthew Matthiessen
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
                I agree with you John. Most of us have thought it's just a matter of
                time before BCCH shows up in Mendo. I just didn't expect it to be that
                big of a jump the first time.

                By the way, I just received a call from Toby Tobkin and she reports that
                she was unable to relocate either the BCCH or the Swamp Sparrow this
                morning.

                Matthew Matthiessen

                >>> "John Sterling" <ani@...> 01/03/03 10:35AM >>>
                This would be a great record, but I would expect a wandering BCCH to be
                found in riparian willows/alders in the northernmost part of the county.
                Seems like an odd location to me, but not impossible.

                Interesting to note that BCCHs have been expanding their range south
                along the California coast for the past 20 years. They use to be rare in
                the Humboldt Bay region, now they are the dominant chickadee in riparian
                areas there. They have also colonized the Eel River bottoms within the
                past 20 years. The slow march south may take them eventually to the
                Mattole River and then a big leap to Mendocino!!

                John

                **********************************
                John Sterling
                26 Palm Ave
                Woodland, CA 95695
                530 668-8694 (home office)
                530 668-1985 (home)
                916 737-3000 ext 3593 (Sacramento office)
                916 813-1766 (cell phone)

                I just called the N CA birdbox (415-681-7422) and there is a report from

                Bill Myers and Thomas ??? (couldn't understand the last name) from
                Pasadena of a BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE on Jan 1 at Van Damme State Park.
                The only details provided are that it was seen foraging with a group of
                Chestnut-backed Chickadees. From other comments made I inferred that
                the chicadees were seen in the vicinity of a campsite where Gray Jays
                are coming to some cat food put out for them (this is only my
                inference).

                I'm putting this notice on Mendobirds as I think this would be a first
                county record. If anyone knows either of the gentlemen who made this
                report could you please have them contact Mendobirds or me
                ( matthima@... ) with additional details? Thanks.

                Also mentioned was a SWAMP SPARROW at MacKerricher State Park.

                Matthew Matthiessen
                Ukiah, CA

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to