Burrowing Owl

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2002
      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 -- Today Toby found a BURROWING OWL on the bluffs north of
      Virgin Creek opposite the last house. It flew south a short ways but
      seemed to be hanging around. She also had 3 ROCK SANDPIPERS opposite the
      lilac-colored house in the same area about two hours after high tide.
    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 21, 2004
        The Lake County Burrowing Owl was seen today by at least 3 people (at different times during the day) at its location near the Hidden Valley Treatment Plant. Jerry White

      • Joseph Morlan
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
          Birders,

          I received a report of an apparent Yellow-billed Loon at Lake Mendocino
          late this afternoon. It was seen from the boat ramp at Lake Mendocino, but
          was far out in the lake.

          Confirmation is desired.

          --
          Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
          Fall Birding Classes start Sep 13 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 12, 2005
            Wed, 12 Oct 2005 -- I spent about two hours at the south marina and Coyote
            Dam area this morning. I found one Common Loon among the red and green
            buoys at the launching area, but I could not find any other loon. It was
            spooky how this loon could disappear for long periods underwater then
            reappear in the same place. I caught it repeatedly surfacing for less than
            one second for 15 minutes.
            I also went to Pomo A and the north marina for a half hour but did
            not see any other loon. There was a pair of HORNED GREBES, the first of the
            season for me.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA

            >Birders,
            >I received a report of an apparent Yellow-billed Loon at Lake Mendocino
            >late this afternoon. It was seen from the boat ramp at Lake Mendocino, but
            >was far out in the lake.
            >Confirmation is desired.

            >Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
          • George Chaniot
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
              Tue, 08 Nov 2011 -- Tuesday morning there was a BURROWING OWL sitting on a
              rock north of the knoll at the end of Burris Lane in Potter Valley. It was
              at a distance, and it took a scope to distinguish it from the kestrels,
              groundsquirrels and meadowlarks which also like these perches. An adult
              GOLDEN EAGLE appeared close overhead, but it took it 20 minutes to appear
              rather than the 15 minutes which I have promised before.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA
            • George Chaniot
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 14, 2011
                Mon, 14 Nov 2011 -- Yesterday Cuck Vaughn and I found a BURROWING OWL again
                in the same general area as before sitting out on a rock at about 11:00.
                Today I saw the bird on the same rock at about 15:00. The rock in question
                is a pointed, triangular rock about 1/2 mi to the NNE. Needless to say, a
                scope is necessary.
                Today the Golden Eagle landed on a grassy hillside close to a group of
                Tule Elk. The elk alerted on it and began to move away quickly. That was a
                surprise to me.

                George Chaniot
                Potter Valley, MEN, CA

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 27, 2012
                  The location for the BURROWING OWL; take Butts Canyon Road off of Highway 29 which is just north of Middletown. Drive to Callayomi Rd (a dirt road) which goes south off of Butts Canyon Rd. Go to the first residence (address 21751) and look to dirt mounds across the road. The bird was standing on the side of one of those mounds about 11:15 AM yesterday. This bird was first discovered by Dave Woodward on Tuesday the 23rd. Jerry White

                • birdmanofthewoods4
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
                    For those of you who don't get Ron LeValley's pictures and might not know, there is a BURROWING OWL along the Fort Bragg haul road just south of Ward Avenue in MacKerricker Park. Quite easy to find. I found it about 1/4 mile south of Ward Avenue. It was moving from the iceplant on the east side of the road to the piles of logs on the west, ocean side.

                  • stevestump
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 25, 2015

                      1/25/15 450pm

                      This afternoon there was a Burrowing Owl on Pine Ave. Potter Valley. It was 7/10th of a mile up the road between a large blue storage container and a single wide mobile home( both off the road to the North). The owl was spotted easily with binoculars on a large red dirt mound near the base of the mound. There were several ground squirrels running around on the mound. Tricolored Blackbirds have been seen in this area just past the mobile home also. Photo on Flickr

                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/16182241417/