Dipper Nest

  • gchaniot
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17 10:13 PM
      Tue, 17 Apr 2012 -- For the first time since June 2004 there is an AMERICAN DIPPER nest under the old bridge on Potter Valley Road. The nest is atop the first of three support piers, but it can only be seen well from beneath the bridge on the far left side. It seems to be a place from which to observe which will not disturb the birds. This morning there were two birds courting on the rocks beneath the bridge with one entering the nest periodically. I saw no nest material or food being carried, so I infer egg laying or incubation. Dippers were easily observed from the top of the bridge or the beach. This used to be the most accessible and reliable place to see them in Mendocino Co., and hopefully they will be easy to see here for the near future.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Jim Armstrong
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 18 5:03 PM
        Good find! It looks to be the most secure nest location we’ve seen there.
        They were very active this afternoon with at least one of them hanging on the sheer concrete beneath the nest.
        I watched them fly out of sight up the reach north of the new bridge toward the quarry.
        Maybe we will have to coordinate observations to see if they are two couples or one.
        Jim Armstrong