Re: [Mendobirds] Scattered sightings of moderate interest
- Sorry forgot to sign previous message.
P.S. If anyone has something good to suggest (recent Gray Jays?), feel free to
call. I will be here a few more days.
From: dan_airola <d.airola@...>
Sent: Fri, April 6, 2012 4:18:05 PM
Subject: [Mendobirds] Scattered sightings of moderate interest
I've been birding mornings since Tuesday (4/3)between McKerricher S.P and Elk.
I haven't seen anything outstanding, but here are a few notes of species of some
interest to some perhaps:
- Brant - One bird exited water at Whiteboro Cove, south of Albion on Hwy 1
- Black-crowned Night Heron - Two roosting in early evening with Snowy Egret
along Noyo River across from the main boat harbor
- Black Scoter/Harlequin Duck - 4 scoters (1 Ad M, 1 Imm M, 2 F) still at usual
spot at end of Ward Ave.
- Caspian Terns - Two groups of 5 and 8 moving north past Mendocino Headlands on
two different days.
-Common Murre - Est 2,100 at Bird Rock (?)at Mendocino Headlands
I dipped on the orioles at East Rose Cemetery and Nashville Warbler during two
visits here. Many Rufous and Allen's Hummers at Banksia trees.
I didn't try for the reported Bobolink. Has anyone else tried or seen it?
Migrant action has been very slow, other than Orange-crowned and Wilson's
Warblers. No other warblers, no migrant vireos, grosbeak, etc. I checked know
Purple Martin nesting sites along Hwy 1 north of Mckerricher, Hwy 1 bridge over
Noyo Harbor, and Greenwood Creek bridge.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]