Coastal CBC Warblers - 12/28

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2002
      Greetings Mendobirders,
      Yesterday during the coastal CBC Stan Snyder and I located a PALM
      WARBLER at the north end of Bristol Rd. Bristol Rd ends in a circle and
      the bird was in the willows on the inside of the west side of the circle
      (directly across from the driveway). We observed the bird for several
      minutes at close range at 0830. We could not relocate the bird later in
      the day. To reach this location, turn west off of Hwy 1 onto Stoneboro
      Rd (just south of the town of Manchester). Just before the west end of
      Stoneboro Rd turn right (north) onto Bristol Rd and follow it about .1
      miles to the circle. For those familiar with the area this is also the
      west end of Hunter's Lagoon.

      Also during the CBC, Stan and I located a HERMIT WARBLER. This bird was
      located along Hwy 1 at approximately mm 27.00. This location is a
      couple miles north of Irish Beach and is at the north end of a long
      straightaway. At the north end of this straightaway Hwy 1 makes a sharp
      turn to the east and descends for a short distance to a creek before
      turning north again and climbing up and out of the ravine. We parked
      where the hwy turns east and begins descending (there is a gate here
      with a sign announcing "Vicious Bulls"). The HEWA was in the trees
      along the road on the south side of the creek. We observed the bird for
      15 minutes at about 1430.

      The SANDHILL CRANE was also present on the Garcia Flats along with
      approximately 100 TUNDRA SWANS.

      Good Birding
      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, CA