Red-breasted Merganser

  • birdmanofthewoods3
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2012
      Got a good picture of the "teeth" on a red-breasted merganser yesterday on Lake Cleone. The bird was threatening a group of coots and mallards who immediately left the area pronto. I never realized it, but these ocean going birds are quite formadible and the local fresh-water dabblers wanted nothing to do with her. Picture below:

    • Lisa Walker (Feather)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2013
        I hiked along the Glass Beach headlands today and below the southern end across from the fence and north of the drainage pipe, was an adult male Red-breasted Merganser, all alone, hunting in the water ..... he was in breeding plumage. My photos aren't that great, so if anyone wants to see, please e mail me and I will send you one :)

        Lisa in Fort Bragg