Invitation to a bird walk at Navarro Vineyards April 7

  • Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2012
      Navarro Vineyards and Winery

      Saturday, April 7th. 10:00 am

      This will be the 3rd annual spring bird walk in the vineyards of Navarro
      hosted by Dan Airola. We will walk through the vineyards, along two ponds
      and down to our salmon restoration project. Ninety species of birds have
      been seen on the Navarro property. We usually see 30-40 species on this
      trip, including a nice mix of wintering birds (waterfowl, hawks), recently
      arriving migrants (swallows, warblers), and resident species
      (hummingbirds, woodpeckers, sparrows). We also observe vineyard
      management practices that are beneficial for creating bird habitat. Last
      year we had over 20 Western Bluebirds hatch in the three new houses we
      placed along the sheep pastures and should have 5 new houses up to examine
      for new use during the trip. . Recently an immature bald eagle was
      foraging around our lower pond.

      The trip is suitable for for all ages and abilities and for both beginning
      and intermediate birders, and or those who just want to take a spring walk
      into the vineyards and adjacent natural habitat. We will start at 10:00
      a.m. at the Navarro tasting room parking lot. The tour lasts a few hours
      so bring appropriate shoes and something to eat afterwards. Please
      R.S.V.P. at 707-895-3686. Of course we would love to have you taste our
      wines afterwards and enjoy some of our artisan cheeses with your picnic.

      --
      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA