Black-crowned Night Herons

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 19, 2012
      Mon, 19 Mar 2012 -- About noon today there were two BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT
      HERONS sitting in view in the dense tree at 412 Mendocino Drive in western
      Ukiah. (This is NOT Lake Mendocino Drive)

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Jack Booth
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20, 2015
        20 March, 2015.

        Heard two BCNH at 7:20 and 7:22 PM. Saw another about 7:25. It was flying west over the East Branch Russian River towards the Forks. About ten minutes later two more flew directly over me going west towards the West Branch Russian River. They were come from the direction of the dam at Lake Mendocino so there must still be a rookery somewhere. Last year the live oak trees they nested in were cut down. The remaining live oak was trimmed severely. and about six great-horned owl decoys were hung from the branches to try to scare them off. There are still a lot of big live oaks in the area. I suspect they are not far away from the original rookery. Jack Booth
      • Robert Keiffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2 9:51 AM
          Feb 1, 2016 - Monday - I kept searching the redwood grove in the neighborhood of Oak Manor on the corner of Washo and Yosemite for Black-crowned Night Herons...where they used to daytime-roost up until a couple years ago.  No luck.   As I headed west back towards Oak Manor St. there in front of me were two Black-crowned Night Herons in the redwoods on the corner of Oak Manor St. and Yosemite, on the NW corner of the intersection, and were easily seen from the road as they preened out in the open.  There was an adult and a first year bird ... and there may have been more but I did not take time to really look with binoculars that long (I had a car behind me).  The continuing California Thrasher was singing atop a tree just south of the BMX track at Riverside Park.  Good Birding.    Bob Keiffer   Hopland   rjkeiffer@...