BLM - North Cow Mt.

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2012
      Today, Jack Booth & I birded North Cow Mt. on Mendo Rock Rd. On the Mendocino Co portion (6,65 miles) we saw 6 California Thrashers and 8 Sage Sparrows.

      On the Lake Co portion (3.35 miles), we saw 2 California Thrashers, 2 Mt Quail, and 2 Sharp-shinned Hawks. We looked but saw no BG Gnatcatchers.

      To get to Mendo Rock Rd, go south from Talmage on Old River Rd about 1/2 mile and turn left on Mill Cr Rd. Go past all the ponds and the county park to the fork for north and south Cow Mt. Turn left up the steep dirt road. It's 8 miles long. 4-W drive & map recommended.

      Dave Bengston
      Ukiah