An update on Al, the Laysan Albatross, from Jason - he works at the Pier

  • jackson_us
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2012
      This was sent to me today. I thought you'd be interested in Jason's report. To those interested in traveling here to see Al, we have several storms in our forecast. Al/Alice usually is AWOL during storms. Why the bird has been gone so much this winter is a mystery.
      Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay p.s. Al left last year on March 28th.

      Hi Jeanne,

      I am Jason. I work at the municipal pier in Point Arena. One of the many joys of my job is the amount of time I get to see Al... but this year has been odd. Al has not spent as much time inside the cove.
      From my prior seasons watching Al and his habits, he seems to be aware of approaching weather conditions and will depart before a major wind or swell shift arrives. I suspect he has a few local hidey-holes with fishermen reporting seeing him inside the Sea Lion Cove last year. As the weather systems cleared, he would rest in his usual place just off to the north of the pier.
      The only thing I can think is we have not had many 'clear spots' in the weather window, and Al has been here on those times, but he has missed a few 'clear spots' as well.
      Now sometimes on recent 'clear spot' days I have had reports of Al being spotted offshore by the fishermen a couple miles out and to the north... so maybe folks along the coast in the Irish Beach / Elk area should take a look around offshore for the unexpected Al B. flyby?
      I will look through my logsheets from last year soon to recall when his last sighting here happened, but I think he was still with us for a bit into April (?) so I think we still have some time for our Al visits.

      Jason
      Point Arena Harbor Office