Re: [Mendobirds] Murdering Barred Owls in California

  • Jeff Petit
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2012
      Chet,

      In 1810 Alexander Wilson saw a flock of Passenger Pigeon (now extinct) in Kentucky flying overhead "at a height beyond gun shot . . .from right to left far as the eye could reach " for five hours.  He estimated the total number to be 2,230,272,000.  John James Audubon in 1826,"after observing one pigeon slaughter, he said "Persons acquainted with these birds might naturally conclude that such havoc would soon put and end to the species.  But I have satified myself, by long observation, that nothing but the gradual diminution of our forests can accomplish this decrease."  from The History of Wildlife in America by Hal Borland and National Wildlife Federation 1975.  Pages 86-87.  For the big picture, please read the whole book - it's very informative.

      Systematic thinning of one species in favor of another is very dangerous although we agree with Tim.  Killing the Barred Owls won't save the Spotted Owl. Unfortunately, it's too late.  There are so many success stories in wildlife management.  Killing Owls won't be one of them!

      Agree to disagree,
      Jeff and Beth
      .