Be On the Lookout for "Orange" Hummers

  • K A Havlena
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2012
      I have already seen a male ALLEN'S HUMMER.  North of us, they are beginning
      to see RUFOUS Hummers, too.  Please report to Mendobirds ASAP if you see
      a hummingbird with ORANGE sides, especially in February.
      Thanks,
      Karen Havlena (per eBird request of Chuck Vaughn).

    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 18, 2012
        Friday, February 17, 2012 - Both Selasphorus species (RUFOUS and
        ALLEN'S) were in the Grevillea hedges around my house.

        It's easy to notice these birds when they arrive, but there is much more
        uncertainty around the departure dates. Last year we reported a
        Selasphorus in the MCBG on the August birdwalk, which triggered a rarity
        report and a conversation with Chuck. From that, I determined to try
        keeping track of daily sightings this year, as the only way to know when
        each species leaves our area.

        This would be an excellent way for feeder-watchers to provide really
        useful data. Try to note which species of hummingbird you see every
        day, and we'll compare notes at the end of summer.

        Regards,
        Tim Bray
        Middle Ridge, Albion

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2012
          Monday February 27, 2012 - We have had both male and female Selasphorus
          here pretty steadily through the last half of the month, whenever I have
          had time to check for them. Mostly we have had one or two male Allen's
          and one or two female S. sp. Today however there is a bright orange
          male Rufous Hummingbird, who has taken over a feeder (displacing the
          Allen's who previously held that territory), and at least three
          different male Allen's, along with an undetermined number of female
          Selasphorus.

          It looks like the Allen's may be here to stay - at least one of these
          males appears to have been holding the same territory for several days
          now. It will be interesting to keep track of the Rufous and see when
          the last one leaves.

          Cheers,
          Tim Bray
          Middle Ridge, Albion

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 20 9:04 AM
            Reminder - Selasphorus sp. (mostly Allen's) hummingbirds are departing
            our region this month, and it would be great to keep records of
            last-sighting dates. If you have feeders or other regular hummingbird
            spots, try to keep records of daily sightings; and let us know when you
            stop seeing them.

            I still have some Allen's at my feeders, but their numbers are dropping.
            On yesterday's MCBG birdwalk we did not find any.

            Cheers,
            Tim Bray
            Albion