RE: [Mendobirds] Inquiry about Al by a Southern Audubon Member

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2012
      Glad you got to see Al. It’s a treat! And I say “it”, because we still don’t
      know if “it” is really Al or Alice! I have been working on getting a feather
      to send to my friend Lindsay who studies the genetics of Laysan Albatrosses.
      She said she would let us know.

      As for Al as a breeder, it probably isn’t a breeder. Al shows up at Point
      Arena at the beginning of the breeding season for Laysan Albatrosses and
      leaves when the birds are done breeding. Al is somehow mixed up.

      We have discussed putting a band on Al, but that really wouldn’t tell us
      much. Since it is not present at any breeding colony during the nesting
      season, no one would see it. And even if it made a short stop at a colony,
      the chances of being seen by a biologist are very slim. When one and ½
      million (yes million!) albatrosses nest on Midway, the chances of finding a
      banded bird are pretty slim, unless it shows up in a regularly checked spot.

      The best answer for your question would be to put a data logger on Al. This
      is a device that keeps track of time and when it gets light and when it gets
      dark. Since we could measure sunrise and sunset, we could determine
      longitude and latitude with some accuracy. This would give us a good idea
      where Al goes during the summer. My guess is that it goes up north to the
      Gulf of Alaska where most of the Laysans spend their summer. But who knows?
      To use this data logger, we would have to put it on Al’s leg, and then
      recapture Al a year from now and retrieve the device and download the data.
      Capturing Al might not be the most acceptable thing to many of Al’s
      followers as you have suggested.

      Best,

      Ron LeValley in Hawaii about to go to Midway to band some albatrosses!

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012
        Nothing is known about the other life-habits of this bird. At this point in time we do not even know what sex the bird is, where is goes to forage, or where it goes to nest, or even if it does pair up and nest at all. It is not banded or marked in any other manner .... so there is no way to track this individual once it leaves the safe harbor of the cove. If we could get one single feather from this bird we could at least sex it.

        Any banding attempt would require a certified bander, Federal and State permits, and probably an accepted protocol.

        Good questions however! Good birding. Bob Keiffer