Sunday's Clear Lake waterbird survey

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2012
      On Sunday, January 29, seven of us surveyed waterbirds around the perimeter of Clear Lake. Waterbird numbers were much lower than in November, which appears to have been the pattern during the last several winters when numbers declined during mid-winter. For example, we saw only 73 WESTERN GREBES and CLARKS'S GREBES, compared with 1,454 on November 21 and 2,255 on September 15. And we tallied only 686 gulls, while only 2 weeks earlier there were a few thousand at Redbud Park alone. Our best birds of the day were five BARROW'S GOLDENEYES and three RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS. We saw eight species of gulls but couldn't find the adult Lesser Black-backed Gull, which may have departed the lake.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA