Pelagic Cormorants

  • birdmanofthewoods3
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2012
      This is not an earth shaking observation, but I saw a Pelagic Cormorant with a big fat white flank patch yesteday. This is significant to me for a couple of reasons. One is that I could answer my non-birding companion who asked what kind of bird that was with 100% certainty that it was a "pelagic cormorant". And two, this means I don't have to squint through my salt-encrusted binoculars at bills and tails anymore to make a positive identification. Also this means Spring is definitely getting a foothold here on the coast and that is good news.