Canada Geese

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2002
      5 Dec 2002 Thursday - There has been a flock of about 25 Canada Geese
      feeding in the recently cultivated (pulled grape vineyard) on the North
      side of Highway 175 on the east side of the Russian River near the town of
      "Old Hopland". The only reason that I post this is because of the nice
      comparison of subspecies which was there this morning ... 24 Great Basin
      Canada Geese (B.c. moffitti), 1 Aleutian Canada Goose (B.c. leucopariea ,
      much smaller, grayish tone overall, wide white neck ring), and 1 Cackling
      Canada Goose (B.c.minima , smaller yet, warm dusky overall tone, NO white
      neck ring at all).

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2010
        This probably displays my ignorance, but what I just discovered on Caspar Beach goes a long way toward explaining the success of Canada geese. All spring, I have been checking on the progress of two pairs of Canada geese, who have been co-habiting a quiet stretch of Caspar Creek, just below Pt.Cabrillo Drive. One pair produced 4 goslings, the other pair two. Some weeks ago the 4 were reduced to 3, but now all 5 are looking very much like adult geese. So 9 adult "looking" Canada geese continue to share the creek, nearly always in two family groups and can be found on the creek just west of Highway 1. The last couple of days none of them was in evidence, possibly for the first time all spring. Today I noticed they were back, but with two brand new fluffy yellow goslings. They seem to be the offspring of the pair that successfully raised 3 others this spring. I must say, I didn't know they could do that! Is this common?
        Susan Tubbesing